Sunday, March 8, 2015

s/v Natalie B

In January we paid a deposit on a 1971 Alberg 30 sailboat, designed by Carl Alberg, built by Whitby Boat Works in Ontario.




She is currently in southern Pennsylvania waiting for us to pick her up in May. She was rescued from a boatyard crusher by a nice man who couldn't bare to see a classic sailboat destroyed.




The interior is in very rough shape and will need a great deal of elbow and wallet grease. The engine was removed at some point and not re-installed. At this point I don't plan to replace the inboard. Instead, I'll convert the lazarette into a motor well for an outboard motor as done by James Baldwin of AtomVoyages.com on an Alberg 30 and a few other similarly designed boats. 
Although I have not had the chance to personally inspect the boat, my sources tell me that the hull and deck are in good shape, the sails are crisp and the rigging all seems to be accounted for. She seems like the perfect project boat for me to work on for the next 5+ years and someday serve as our cruising getaway.


Perdida means Lost. I'm not convinced that is a great name for a boat. I'd include it on the list of "bad things to name your boat", along with Titanic, Minnow, Lusitania and Unsinkable. Why tempt Neptune like that. Once we have completed the restoration, she will be renamed Natalie B in a proper renaming ceremony.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you have a project ahead of you! (But that's half the fun, right?!) Looking forward to seeing the boat moved and the project underway. I have an A30 that's been "in progress" for 10 years. Hoping I might make some real progress this summer. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I do have quite a project ahead of me. I know the work will be fun, but half the fun, that remains to be seen.

      I've read your blog Alberg30project and was wondering if you were still at it or if you had moved on to something else. I'm glad to hear you haven't given up. I'd be interested in seeing any recent progress, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you.

      Delete
  2. I'm sad to say that there hasn't been any progress since the bulkhead template post. I spend most of my boat time with Ariel, our Cape Dory 36 (http://ariel-cd36.org/wordpress/), so the A30 gets neglected. My fingers are crossed for installing bulkheads and more this spring/summer. We shall see. When do you plan to bring your boat west? If you happen to be traveling 80/90 through northern Ohio and Indiana, give me a shout. We're in St. Joseph, about 30 minutes north of South Bend, IN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I am with my house and boat, the house gets neglected while the Venture 25 gets new lighting, new paint etc. I've made a loose promise to the admiral to pace the boat projects with the house projects. I suppose that's best, since we may want to rent out the house if we ever go on an extended cruise.

      In May we have a wedding to attend in Florida and we will be heading north from there to take ownership of the A30. Unfortunately, once we leave the Philly area, we will be on a strict "straight home" schedule. We'll have 5 days to make the drive, but that is to ensure we allow time for the drive to take even longer than we calculated or for any unforeseen problems while towing. However, someday I hope to sail the Great Lakes, so perhaps we'll get a chance to show off the boats to one another. While on the trip, I'll have a few days on the coast of the Florida panhandle with plenty of time to walk the docks. If you happen to know of any A30 owners in that area, I'd love to take a look at their boats.

      Delete