Monday, February 8, 2016

Moving 9000 pounds 18 inches on the trailer.



Recently, I moved the boat aft on the trailer to gain access to the rudder shoe and ultimately to remove the rudder. I did this completely alone and without the aid of buoyancy or the use of a crane. 

We bought the boat and trailer separately, so when we picked up the boat, it had to be craned onto the trailer.  

With the help of some other Alberg 30 owners, I had figured out the ideal placement of the boat on the trailer for good balance, weight distribution and to allow access to the rudder shoe. However, in the excitement of crane day, combined with being behind schedule, being sick with the flu and being nearly out of time with the crane, I settled for a less than ideal position on the trailer. 

Once we got home, I knew I would need to slide the boat aft on the trailer about 18 inches. But how? If it isn't floating or held by a crane, moving a 9000 pound boat isn't easy. But I did it using a come-along and some pieces of Teflon. 

Using the screw jacks, I lifted the boat a few inches to gain access under the keel. Then I placed a couple of chunks of Teflon under the keel and lowered the boat. 

I looped several slings around the bow and attached some ratchet straps and a come-along. 

Using the ratchet straps, the come-along and the screw jacks together, I was able to slide the boat the necessary distance. 

I would shift the loose screw jacks forward before re-tightening, then while pulling with the come-along, the jacks would slowly shift aft. Then I would loosen the jacks and repeat the process. 

It took a couple of weeks, but once I figured out the process, most of the distance was accomplished in a couple of days. 

I probably loosened and re-tightened the screw jacks a hundred times each and circled the boat a few hundred times, but it worked and I am happy with the results. 

Once the boat was where I wanted it, I raised it up, removed the Teflon and dropped it back down on the keel support. 

Below is a video showing the whole process.  


Ahoy and welcome aboard s/v B.
In this episode I'll be moving the boat aft on the trailer to gain access to the rudder shoe and ultimately
to remove the rudder. I do this completely alone and without the aid of buoyancy or the use of a crane.
We bought the boat and trailer separately, so when we picked up the boat, it had to be craned onto the
trailer.
You can watch that video by clicking HERE or on the link in the description below.
With the help of some other Alberg 30 owners, I had figured out the ideal placement of the boat on the
trailer for good balance, weight distribution and to allow access to the rudder shoe. However, in the
excitement of crane day, combined with being behind schedule, being sick with the flu and being nearly
out of time with the crane, I settled for a less than ideal position on the trailer.
Once we got home, I knew I would need to slide the boat aft on the trailer about 18 inches. But how? If
it isn't floating or held by a crane, moving a 9000 pound boat isn't easy. But I did it using a come-along
and some pieces of Teflon.
Using the screw jacks, I lifted the boat a few inches to gain access under the keel. Then I placed a
couple of chunks of Teflon under the keel and lowered the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment